Shrine History

Saint Eugene de Mazenod OMI, when he was a young priest, ministered to the workers at the port of Marseilles, on the Mediterranean. He realized that the local clergymen were not meeting the religious needs of the dock workers and their families. A language barrier was one of the obstacles. The few priests available up to that time insisted on preaching in classical French, oblivious of the fact that the majority of the working class communicated in “provençal”, a form of patois or low class speech. Eugene was born in Provence and he knew the language. His decision to preach to the people in their own language, combined with his natural eloquence, opened the door to a very successful ministry.

He gathered a group of collaborators who eventually became the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. With time his message reached way beyond France. One young seminarian from Côte-Saint-André, named André Garin, entered the society during Saint Eugene’s lifetime. At the end of his studies, André was sent as a missionary to Canada. In 1868 Father André Garin OMI, came to Lowell to preach a mission for the hundreds of working persons who had now come here from Canada. The local diocesan priest, Father O’Brien, could only minister in English. This was a barrier for the many Canadians who were busy keeping the thousands of bobbins turning in the area mills. A true disciple of Saint Eugene, Father Garin preached to the working people, not in “Provençal”, but in French as it was spoken in Canada.

During that first mission, enough money was raised by the donations of the working people to meet the down payment for an abandoned church structure at 37 Lee Street. This was the first parish established in Lowell to serve the spiritual needs of the French-speaking immigrants. Saint Joseph was selected as the patron. In 1956, the downtown church, with its rich tradition, was dedicated as a shrine in honor of Saint Joseph the Worker.


Saint Eugène de Mazenod OMI, comme jeune prêtre, pourvoyait aux besoins spirituels des débardeurs au port de Marseilles, sur la Méditerranée. Il se rendit compte que ces braves gens et leurs familles etaient négligés par le clergé local. Le patois “provençal” faisait obstacle. Les quelques prêtres de la région insistaient sur la prédication en français cultivé, tandis que la majorité des gens ordinaires ne communiquaient qu’en patois régional. Eugène était natif de la Provence et connaissait la langue du peuple. Il se donna pour mission de prêcher en “provençal.” Avec son eloquence naturelle cette décision assura un ministère très fructueux.

Il recruta quelques collaborateurs, et ce fut le commencement de la société des Missionnaires Oblats de Marie Immaculée. Avec le temps son message s`étendit bien au delà des frontières de la France. Un jeune séminariste provenant de la Côte-Saint-André, nommé André Garin, vint s’adjoindre à la société, du vivant même du fondateur. A la fin de ses études, André fut envoyé comme missionnaire au Canada. En 1868, ce même père André Garin vint à Lowell afin de prêcher une grande retraite pour les centaines de travailleurs qui avaient émigré içi du Canada. Le curé local, le bon père O’Brien, ne pouvait les déservir qu’en anglais. C’était un obstacle pour la majorité des canadiens qui surveillaient les “bobines” dans les usines de la région. En vrai disciple de Saint Eugène, le père Garin fit la prêche aux ouvriers non pas en “provençal” mais en français tel qu’on le parlait au Canada.

Au cours de cette première mission, les gens ont contribué une somme suffisante pour permettre d’acheter une église abandonnée au numéro 37 de la rue Lee. Ce fut la premère paroisse établie à Lowell pour le service des émigrés francophones. On choisit Saint Joseph comme patron. En 1956 cette église au centre de la ville, si riche en traditions, fut dédiée comme sanctuaire en honneur de Saint Joseph ouvrier.


Rev. Lucien A. Sawyer, OMI, is a Franco-American native of Lowell. Since his ordination in 1949, he has served in a wide range of ministries. Recently, he translated into English the biography of André-Marie Garin, OMI by Gaston Carriere, OMI entitled, The Man Lowell Remembered. Copies are available at the Shrine.